Monday, January 7, 2013

Still on first gear

I couldn't think of an appropriate title for this post but the above describes my 'speed' at the moment after six days into 2013. Yesterday I finally decided on my new year resolutions! Forming them in my mind and putting them down on paper sounds easy now that that's done. Working on them is another story....So now I'm still on first gear. Realising your resolutions is like driving a manual shift car. You can't just put it into 'D' like an automatic car, step on the pedal, and expect the gears to shift themselves.

This year, one resolution is to eat more fruits and veges and exercise. My recent medical checkup indicates that I need to. I am at my heaviest in my entire life, have access body fat, lack muscles, and have below normal metabolism. Back in the day, when I was a teenager and in my 20s, I was scrawny and underweight. I could wear XS-sized clothes.

I remember when I used to be fit when I was in my early 30s. Spending four days outdoors every two weeks for two years climbing hills, trekking jungles, canoeing in seas and rivers, camping under hole-y tents, waking before dawn to exercise, breathing in relatively fresh air and being amidst greenery helped build some muscles and fitness. I'm glad that my job gave me that opportunity then. Now in this job, I wake just after dawn, prepare breakfast, do laundry, cook, sit in the car and in front of the computer.

Yesterday, my notebook suddenly decided to become Sleeping Beauty. I turned it on but it didn't boot up or show anything on the screen. E checked it and tried the various necessary things to resuscitate it but it was in vain. I take it as a sign that I should cut down my internet and computer time and use it as needed for real work only. Having our desktop on the third floor of our home now helps I guess. When it's not in front of me I'd be less tempted to keep it on all day long and poke my nose into what my Facebook friends are doing, read unnecessary stuff online or surf.

I hope that will make me get on my feet, be active physically and spend more time doing other more beneficial stuff.

And I shall sign out now before I get sucked into the dark hole of the online world!

No comments: