Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rojak


For those who don't know, rojak is a type of Malaysian vegetable 'salad' of bean sprouts, water convolvulus (kangkong in Malay), pineapple, turnip, cucumber, sometimes other fruits like starfruit, guava and mango, tofu, deep fried crackers and/or cruellers, mixed with some sugar, prawn paste and ground peanuts. Chilli paste is optional.

I came across this picture I took of a bowl of rojak I had some time ago. Remember the movie Forrest Gump? I believe we all do, especially his quote "My momma always said, 'Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get'." But what has rojak got to do with chocolates?

When I saw this picture, it got me thinking that life can be a bowl of rojak too. You get a bit of this and that, the good and bad, the sweet, the sour, the soft, the crunchy, all mixed up, and the end result is something palatable, that's if you like the taste of rojak! I like rojak, yum yum.



No comments: