Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding

Thirty years ago in 1981, Prince Charles married Lady Diana. Today, their son Prince William will marry Kate Middleton.

In 1981, I remember Malaysian tv broadcasting the royal wedding live. I was at my piano teacher's house for my weekly lesson. The teacher halted the lesson midway so that she could watch the wedding. I was 13 then and wondered what the hype was all about. Such events seemed so distant from my own little world in a small and relatively 'backward' town. The only 'overseas' country I had travelled to then was Singapore; unlike jetsetting kids and babies these days whose (rich) parents take them on overseas holidays every school holiday. To me at that time, it was more like 'so what if some famous prince is getting married'?

As Lady Diana walked down the aisle, my teacher told me that the music playing was the Trumpet Voluntary. That was the first time I heard it and it was the one thing I learnt and remembered of that particular day.

Now thanks to YouTube, I can watch the wedding again.


However, it's sad to note that such a grand and joyous event slowly evolved into one stormy saga which ended tragically.

May Prince William and Kate Middleton's marriage have a fairytale ending.

No comments: