Friday, April 1, 2011

Cars

I got my first car in 1994 or 1995 after two years of working. Three months after enjoying the car, it got submerged in flash flood waters. It was parked in an open land behind my office building when one afternoon, a heavy downpour flooded the entire carpark and many cars were damaged. Luckily I managed to get it started, drove it home with water swishing around me. My younger brother was so kind to help me dismantle the interior to let it dry out for a number of days. Then I had to spend some money to get it cleaned inside out and the petrol tank drained to remove whatever water that got inside. Then it was almost as good as new. It was still running fine after nine years but by then, I had gotten married and had a kid. So I had to trade it for a larger one to accommodate a husband, maid, baby and all her paraphernalia. That was in 2003. That makes my present car eight years old, almost as old as the kid.

The car is definitely starting to show its age with all the various parts getting repaired and replaced over time. It would be nice to get a new car. But a new car is terribly expensive in this country, especially for a SAHM who has no income. Even a used car that runs reasonably well is still considered unaffordable. I'd rather keep the present one.

We named our car Elmo. That's because it's red in colour. I like driving Elmo and I like how the configuration of its seats allow versatility and extra seats and boot space. Elmo used to look nicer in his younger days. Now he's got some scratches, dinks and dents. And he does not get his bath as often as he used to. Poor thing.

Before E's present car, he had one which was a two-seater. It was nicknamed the Blue Monster @ Cookie Monster. And before Monster, he had another car. I don't think it had a name other than Honda. E had some fun with the Monster and it saw him through some memorable moments like kissing a traffic light post! That's just putting it mildly....hee hee.

I never really took to Cookie Monster because it was a noisy thing, it's aircon wasn't that great compared to what I'm used to, and the ride was uncomfortable in my opinion. I never ever drove it. With much reluctance, E sold it a few years ago and got a 'proper' car that is more comfy, drive-able (by me) and more suitable for city driving, in other words a more husbandly and fatherly car!

If I could afford a new car, I wonder what car I would buy. I think it could be a nice sporty one. It might be just the remedy for the mid-life blues that occasionally pay me a visit. Or it could be my childhood dream come true. According to my parents, when I was three or four years old, I had said that the car I wanted was an Alfa Romeo convertible. Those days, when airconditioning was only a luxury and not a necessity, I had loved putting the car window all the way down to feel the wind in my face and hair.

And one night when I was around 11 or 12 years old, when I did just that, I felt something cold and wet brush past my cheek. Upon reaching home and investigating, we discovered that it was a frog that touched my face.....It must have been stuck to the outside of the car and suddenly got blown into the car and my face! I'm not joking, although it's April Fool's Day today.

Ha haha ha...some events we just don't forget!

No comments: