Friday, February 18, 2011

Hmmm...

Oh wow, how time flies....again. Didn't realise it's been two weeks since my last post here. Yesterday was the last day of Chinese New Year, the 15th day of the first month of the lunar year, Chap Goh Mei. The moon was really round and full last night. Too bad I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the moon. And I'm past the stage where young girls go out at night to the lake, sea, river to throw mandarin oranges wishing for Mr Right! But in fact, I never ever did that before in my life.

Instead, I took Rusty out for his evening walk a.k.a poop time. Usually E does it every night after putting C to bed but last night, Rusty couldn't wait. He must have eaten too much yesterday because I spoiled him -- fed him some CNY junk food while I was snacking on some in the afternoon (he was so happy he got some!), and then gave him some rice with bones from the previous night's 'bak kut teh' dinner mixed with his doggy biscuits. Lucky for him that I broke the no-human-food rule yesterday. Some kids in the neighbourhood were playing with fireworks and later some firecrackers went off somewhere. That made him uncomfortable and unsure of where the usual 'safe' spots were to do his job! Ha ha! Anyway he managed to at a few spots and happily trotted to the safety of home.

This week has been yet another one filled with daily chores, errands etc. Sigh, it never ends, does it? I still haven't gotten used to the routine of having to wake up at 5.30am to prepare C's school lunch even though it's now February. Waking up extra half an hour earlier screws up my circadian rhythm. Yesterday, I decided to wake at the usual time of 6.00am, got their breakfast done and after they left, got down to writing a piece for my fortnightly column. Then I had no choice but to cook lunch, pack it and deliver it to school for C. I packed my portion too as I too had to eat. Decided to lunch with her in her school canteen as there was no point for me travelling back and forth since I had to take her home when school dismissed. So after her lunch break ended at 1.00pm, I hung around in school and chatted with a few other parents until dismissal at 2.35pm. Felt like time was wasted for the sake of saving petrol cost and not increasing the carbon footprint but I guess it made better sense to wait out the 1.5 hours.

She's going back to eating the school-prepared lunch next term. This term is the first time she's bringing lunch from home. She had complained of being bored with the food at school after two years so I relented this time just to try out the arrangement. I feel now that it's not too practical having to prepare some of the food the night before so that I can cook it quickly the next morning plus having to wake up earlier. She's not a sandwich person and I also don't see the benefit of eating sandwiches for lunch everyday, five days a week. And she eats less (due to the limited time for lunch break) if it's sandwiches because she somehow eats slower when it's bread compared to noodles or rice. So her lunch menu has to be varied with rice, noodles, pasta or some mashed potato-topped pie and sometimes a sandwich.

I'm glad it's Friday. C is glad too. Recently, she's quite into this cartoon on TV called Metal Fight Beyblade. And it's on Saturdays and Sundays that she gets to watch it. Every morning this week, she has been counting down to the weekend and this morning, she went 'Yay, tomorrow I can watch Metal Fight Beyblade! What are our plans for the weekend?" Last week, she said she was planning to wake up early to catch the cartoon and she really did. Although the programme was airing at 9.30am she was already up and about at 6.30am while E and I were still in dreamland. On weekdays, we have difficulty waking her at 6.00am to get ready for school but on weekends she can get up on her own! Just goes to show children (and adults) are alike. We're motivated by what we're interested in.

This calls to mind my own level of motivation. I need a boost. But what I'm interested in is relaxing, travelling for holidays and satiating the foodie in me. How that's possible beats me with all that I have on my stay-at-home-mum plate that's filled with lots of duties and responsibilities and very little time and money! Oh well, is the cup half full or half empty?

No comments: