Friday, December 17, 2010

Speechless

I know of a boy who is probably 19 or 20 years old. He is a medical student. From what I can tell, his parents are successful career people whom I believe pampered their son (only son and younger of two children) too much. He is the main tenant of my apartment. For the past 15 months of living in my apartment, I don't see him showing any responsibility for himself let alone his fellow housemates. 

I gave him a brand new mattress (queen-sized one for the queen-sized bed he requested) but he complained to his mum who then informed me that her son is complaining of backache from sleeping on the mattress, and she requested me to provide a better mattress. Sheesh....

There's a leak in the ceiling and a broken toilet flush in the common bathroom (which his housemates share while he has one to himself since he occupies the master bedroom) but he did not report to me or get it fixed, although I was told the others had reminded and requested him numerous times to contact me. I found out months later from another boy when I visited the place, and only after that, this spoilt kid's mother informs me about it, saying her son had told her about the problem, obviously asking mummy dearest to solve it for him. So she requested me to get it fixed quickly for the other boys, who have been 'inconveniencing' her son by borrowing his bathroom.

The fridge I supplied them is an old but functioning one which requires defrosting regularly. Despite instructions and reminders, it's not defrosted so one day the ice got so thick in the freezer compartment that the door was stuck shut....

Today, I find out from another boy who lives there that the washing machine I provided them has broken down. Last week I had tried contacting this main tenant pampered kid but he did not reply my SMS or answer my call. For a particular reason, I wanted to find out if he had coordinated application of some new security passes the building management is implementing soon, since he and his housemates would need the passes to enter the apartment block. I find out today that he hasn't done so. Is he taking it for granted that his mummy or I will do it?

Why I'm venting here is because I question what his parents have done or not done to produce a child like this, who has no notion of what he needs to do for himself and others. It's basic living skills for goodness sake! It sure looks like he's been pampered and spoonfed all his life.

His parents are Malaysians but work in Singapore. He got his education in Singapore. They've had a maid (or maids?) all their lives. His parents sent him first to Australia for medical studies but due to some technicalities, brought him back to Malaysia to a private medical college in KL,  and were the ones who checked out my apartment to rent for him. They bought him a brand new car (with a single-digit plate number!) although college is five minutes' walk away, and at our first meeting, his mum voiced her concern if her son knew how to take care of himself. She told me she might have to bring her maid from Singapore to KL to help him clean the apartment....gosh...

One day about six months ago, the immediate neighbour of the apartment called me complaining that someone was keeping a puppy caged up all day and left out in the sunny balcony without food and water. And the condition of the cage was anything but hygienic for the dog. And the dog was yelping all day, out of distress for sure. So I called the boy and he admits he's the one who adopted the dog from a pet adoption service. Great, adopt or so call 'rescue' a  puppy only to torture it while you attend medical school all day long. What kind of professional adult do think he'll turn out to be -- one that probably knows how to diagnose, treat and prescribe (I hope at least), and earn tons of money so that he'll continue to live a life of comfort and luxury, paying maids, drivers, secretaries and personal assistants to do even the simplest things for him simply because he can afford it and does not  know how to do anything other than eat, sleep, and enjoy life!

Since pets, especially dogs, are not allowed in apartment living, I told him to fix the situation but he lingered and I got another call from the neighbour. After that episode, he left the balcony still in some awful state and ventured into 'caring' for a pet rabbit which eventually died (hmm, what was the cause of death?)

I call his mother and she expressed surprise and agreed that he's not capable of taking care of anything else other than himself (yeah, right) but adds that he 'reaally' loves dogs....ooo, loving and understanding mummy...

Aaargh! I blame his parents for how this boy has turned out. I'm not to judge other parents on their parenting skills but I just wonder .......I shall reserve my other comments and feelings....Sigh....

No comments: