Monday, October 4, 2010

Another busy week

These two weeks will see me burning the midnight oil as a number of writing jobs came in unexpectedly. I have an Oct 10th deadline for two long pieces and four short ones. I completed the two long ones on  Friday and yesterday. The next four should be done this week! On top of that, I have to catch up on stockpiling for my regular bi-weekly column in the local daily that I've been writing for since 2.5 years ago. I've really fallen behind for some time already and have just been giving one before every deadline. Then there's another one-day event next weekend to turn into words....that's a rather long piece with a one-month deadline...oh gosh....all for the much-needed money, of course.

It sure looks like my writing jobs are just like the current weather. When it rains, it pours, but in a positive way. That means I get to earn some extra money. Good timing for the year-end when expenses double or triple due to all the presents we have to get for Christmas, Caitlin's birthday in three weeks' time and maybe a trip that would be nice to go on during the school holidays.

C came home from school with a stuffy nose on Friday. It carried on till yesterday afternoon with the post-nasal drip giving her a cough. I think it's partly due to her not drinking enough water at school. So I've kept her home today hoping that by tomorrow the cough will reduce or be gone so that she can go back to school. Right now, she is enjoying breakfast in front of the tv....

It's hard to work with one talkative kid around the house, and one who doesn't do as I say nine out of ten times. I can't write with someone interrupting my thoughts all the time. And it's also hard when I have distracting thoughts on what to cook for dinner, what needs to be done around the house, and watching the clock on getting C from school, to her music lessons etc....I'm amazed at those who can write anytime, anywhere. For me, I need the mood, the inspiration, peace and quiet and sometimes the 'lightbulb' moment.

I have to remind myself to live moment by moment, one day at a time. That's what I've been doing ever since I became a stay-at-home mother. It's hard to plan way, way ahead when you have other lives to be responsible for. It could be possible if one's responsibilities are more focused and not 'all over the place' , having to juggle almost everything form A-Z. Many SAHMs are like that, especially those who don't have anyone to help.  That's the norm in most western countries where labour is expensive and househelpers are only for the rich. But in the Malaysian context, most SAHMs would have some form of help from either extended family or paid help like maid or maids.

When I compare myself to other SAHMs who don't have outside help like me, and have more than one kid and even more amazingly, homeschool all of them, I'm thankful that at least I have part-time cleaners who come once a week and spend two hours cleaning my house. They don't do the perfect job but what can one expect when I only get them for two hours a week.

So, the mantra so to speak will continue to be 'cross the bridge when I come to it'!

No comments: