Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Malaysian holiday season

Last Friday was Hari Raya Aidil Fitri, the Muslim celebration after a month-long fasting in the month of Ramadan the previous month. The school term took a break for a week last week too. And two weeks before that, Malaysia celebrated her 53rd year of independence, or Merdeka Day, on 31 August.

In two days' time, on 16 September, the country will have another national holiday called Malaysia Day. It's the day in 1963 when Sabah and Sarawak in Borneo, and the island of Singapore joined Peninsular Malaya to become Malaysia. (However, on 9 August 1965, the Parliament voted with a majority for the removal of Singapore from Malaysia.)

I'm wondering if I'll have the energy and time to make Malaysia Day a Cooking Thursday. C has a two-hour replacement class for her Yamaha Junior Extension Course in the morning. Parents sit in for these group lessons and by default, since I'm the one with music knowledge, it's become my 'duty', although it's not necessary for parents to have music knowledge to sit in).

Thinking aloud, I'd like to try making roti jala, or a simple cheesecake, or some kind of Malaysian 'kuih' since it's Malaysia Day. But I wonder if I'd have to cook a more elaborate dinner, especially when Thursday is also the day when E's parents come over for a visit and dinner. Since I'm not an expert cook, cooking for four adults and one adult wannabe is already more challenging than just cooking for ACE alone....

I guess I'll find out what I will really do when Thursday arrives and unfolds itself......

No comments: