Thursday, July 22, 2010

Upside down Thursday

It's Thursday again today. Last week, I missed my Cooking Thursday. I can't remember why. I must have been occupied with something else. I've been meaning to try my hand at making the old classic pineapple upside down cake for some time and had scoured the internet to look for an easy recipe.

Believe me, when I Googled 'pineapple upside down cake', it presented me with tons of recipes. Some called for unsalted butter and brown sugar, some said I had to use a skillet, and uncommon ingredients, etc etc. All that put me off. I'm the lazy type when it comes to cooking -- the recipes must be simple to follow, the ingredients easy to find, and the dish is something that fussy eaters here will eat or at least try.

I happened to be at a bookstore a few weeks ago and chanced upon a handy pocket-sized recipe booklet with the cover photo of  pineapple upside down cake! It was like it was calling out to me. Although I have more than enough cookbooks that I read and hardly use their recipes, I couldn't resist getting just another one for my collection. It was only RM9.90 so I didn't feel too guilty. It's by Betty Saw, a well-known local 'celebrity' cook and cookbook author.



Well, enough of my longwinded intro.  Here's the result of today's Cooking Thursday, out from the oven not too long ago (pardon the poor quality pic again, just too lazy to climb upstairs to get the proper camera!).

It's without the maraschino cherries and pineapple cream. Although the touch of red could have made it look more attractive, I was being practical. I didn't want to purposely go out to get the cherries which will end up being dug out and dumped into the dustbin because people here don't like the taste of it -- it's like a combi of cough medicine and cockroach (it's usually flavoured with oil of bitter almond). Plus, I don't think it's healthy food due to the preservatives and food colouring used. The same goes for the pineapple cream. I already used a whole block (250g) of butter and 250g of sugar for the cake. I think we can do without the additional 250g of butter and 150g for the decorative cream (as shown in the picture above). 

Now, what shall I do with this nine-inch square cake? There's only three of us at home. Gotta taste it first and see if it's 'passable' to be shared with 'outsiders'! Haha....

No comments: