Thursday, November 20, 2008

'Aunty' talking business - part 2 (see below for part 1)

Wah, this 'aunty' suddenly on a roll on this topic... Actually I just want to set some records straight lah, especially for those who think they know a lot about network marketing although they've not been there and done that and make loose comments or accusations. I'm not promoting nor defending the network marketing industry and I'm not saying I'm an expert since I've been there, done that technically for only about a year up to last year.

No, I've not given up on it but just taking a breather to recoup what I've done so far, not in the biz, but in life in general. Call it 'joyfully turning 40 soon' or mid-life crisis, whatever... Moreover, being a housewife takes up lots of time, effort, emotional and mental energy. Or are these just excuses for my lack of drive, focus and lethargy? Truly don't know and I'm just probably psychotic. Ha ha. Caitlin asked me the meaning of this word (psychotic) yesterday after hearing it used in the movie Madagascar.

I had been an employee for 14 years to big-time Malaysian entrepreneurs up to age 36 before I decided to be boss (or should it be slave?) at home. My bosses, directly or indirectly, included the Loys, Ananda Krishnan and my favourite, Tong Kooi Ong. They are the millionaires, billionaires or gazillionaires (who knows their real net worth?). I was one of their thousands of employees climbing the ladder from junior exec to assistant manager to manager. Some titles I carried sounded expensive, but it only stopped there, sounding expensive I mean, not being expensive. None of us are millionaires (yet?) as far as I know. Any ex-colleagues reading this who have become millionaires by solely working for existing millionaires, please remember me ah...

Okay, back to network marketing. In my little experience, I've encountered the good and bad. The best being friends and strangers who were truly open to listen but declined graciously or to my surprise after my lousy sharing, signed up or bought something. The worst? I've yet to experience I believe.

The not-so-good? Friends and strangers who put up a wall, said No even before I said Hi. You need to be thick-skinned to 'sell'. You don't need selling skills. Some people I've approached declined saying "No, I can't do sales, I don't have the gift of the gab, I simply can't talk..." Don't you sell everyday? You sell yourself at a job interview, at work to get your ideas approved, at home to get your kid to eat the greens....I don't view it so much as 'selling' selling. I view it as sharing a concept, an idea, a benefit. It's easier when you speak from your heart and not think of it as 'selling'.

As I mentioned in part 1, many of us have been conditioned with school-degree-good job-retire happy idea. To change this conditioning to help others see otherwise is not easy. Majority of people only know how to trade their personal time for money. Network marketing helps you leverage on other people's time for money. Some view this as not right, unethical, but if you look at businesses, aren't they similar? The entrepreneur is leveraging on his employees time for money too. Well, the debate can go on about this with many perspectives but I'm not here to argue.

Another not-so-good one is getting postponed or ignored, not because I had done anything wrong, but because some people didn't have the guts to decline and simply say they're not interested. Aiyo, adult already but don't know how to treat people with respect ah? Like I will take offence if you say no nicely? Gimme some credit lah...

One that hurt was being left out of a gathering (among friends obviously, otherwise who gives a ****) only to find out later that me and my new venture were featured over teh tarik. Forgive? Forgiven. Forget? Hard to do but must one day. Maybe it was unintentional and done in my best interest albeit inappropriately. Best to give benefit of doubt. I've got bigger things to worry about in fact, like if Caitlin will become a rock drummer, diva or zookeeper when she grows up. Right now, rock drummer scores the lowest as she's been showing less interest in drums :( Zookeeper is the flavour of the month for now.

The world is your oyster when it comes to finding your niche in the business world. A spark of an idea could turn into a wildfire given the right conditions. Again, dream the dream and as they say, aim for the stars and maybe you'll reach the sky.

Other inspirational sayings for this:

Whatever you are, be a good one - Abraham Lincoln

Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts - Winston Churchill

2 comments:

Susan said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://www.car-insurance-choices.com

Anna said...

Hi Susan, thanks for the comment and for visiting!