Tuesday, October 21, 2008

P.S. I Love You


Cecelia Ahern's books have been hitting the bestseller's list for some time now so on my recent trip to the bookstore I decided to take a closer look at them. Her books have caught my attention for some time already but I was not sure if that genre was something I really wanted to read.

Her debut novel, however, has been made into a movie starring Hilary Swank with Gerard Butler (and Harry Connick Jr.), and it's stories like these (those that have been made into movies) that pique my interest. I would not care for those that are the other way around, i.e. movies that have been made into books.

P.S. I Love You is not a hardcore romance novel although the title suggests it. It is about an Irish girl, Holly, who is devastated by the loss of her beloved husband Gerry to a brain tumour. Months later, she discovers that Gerry had left her a collection of notes, one for every month, guiding her through a new life without him, each signed 'PS, I love you.' She finds support from her close friends and family through her bouts of tears, sadness, laughter. It's definitely a girly-type story/movie that could move you to tears.

It's probably a story with a simple life message that could touch your soul but does not require you to be a brain surgeon unlike some stories with deep, abstract ideas. I say 'probably' because I've yet to finish the book. To the point where I've read, it appears that life is beginning to work out slowly but surely for her. It'll quite definitely have a happy ending. I'll just have to keep reading till the end to find out and then decide if I should also watch the movie.

A check with Wikipedia says that although it got bestseller status and the movie had high box office numbers, they both did not get great reviews.

No comments: