Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sleep remedies

What do you do when you can't sleep at night? Right now I'm bothered by an aching knee, itchy fingers (dermatitis problem), slight hunger and an overactive mind. I was tossing and turning in bed and decided it wasn't worth the torture.

I was contemplating reading or watching TV but the computer's little voice started calling out. Chatting, checking email, and blogging has managed to distract me slightly from the knee ache and itchy hands. The hunger is stifled slightly by a cup of warm chocolate. The overactive mind however is still, well, active.

So, how to sleep better? WebMD says:

A good mattress firmly supports the back, neck, and legs, and also offers cushion and recoil for comfort. (Okay, time to go mattress shopping)

Talk Yourself to Sleep. Try talk therapy to fight insomnia. It gets better results than sleeping pills. (Umm, talk to myself and the wall? My talking partner cannot talk while he is snoring away...)

Nix Late Naps. No matter how tired, don't nap after 3 p.m. Late naps make it harder to fall asleep at night. (What nap? I'd be lucky if I can just lie down for 3 minutes in the afternoon!)

Regular exercise deepens sleep in young adults. Be sure to exercise no later than three hours before bed. (Exercise? What is that? Am I a young or old adult?)

To read more, see here.

I think I shall move on to something else on the computer now....

No comments: