Monday, August 11, 2008

On a hot Monday afternoon

The sun is scorching. I would have liked it if I were lazing on a windy beach, listening to the surf and reading a superb book, sipping cocktail. Alas, such luxury only exists in my sleepy mind right now. Instead, the wind is from my ceiling fan. The 'surf' is the Internet and the sound of Higglytown Heroes on Playhouse Disney channel keeps reminding me of my reality....The heat is causing heavy eyelids, sluggish limbs, and tight muscles an earlier cup of coffee did not relieve...It's almost time to get Caitlin to practise her piano but as usual she is reluctant. Do I use the carrot or the stick?


When Caitlin was three and began showing her 'stubborn' side, I bought this book Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: The Clinically Proven Five-Week Program for Parents of Two- to Six-Year-Olds [Revised and Updated Edition]. I read it halfway, tried their practical exercises but did not follow through till the end. I took it out of my shelf a month ago thinking that maybe I should get on with it (almost three years later!) but I've yet to garner the discipline to read it again all the way to the end. And certainly not on this hot afternoon...

No comments: