Friday, August 29, 2008

Different trains


Gone are the days when I had bosom buddies I could call on anytime simply to chat or get a shoulder to cry on. We'd burn the phone lines for at least half an hour catching up, gossipping, making plans to spend time together.

As we travel through life, we stop at many stations. I guess right now, the station I'm at is pretty deserted. Most people and friends are busy chugging along in different fast-moving life trains, live in different cities and countries. We may pass each other along the way and honk at each other but that's just about all we can do (because we are in bullet trains in this century!).

It takes lots of major effort from both parties if we want to stay in touch frequently so we've somehow arrived at unspoken agreements to stay in touch on birthdays, special occasions like weddings, business stopovers, or in times of special need. An email or two spread out over the year, an SMS or two, short chats online, and dropping by for a peek into our blogs (for those who blog) once a while.

So who are my daily or frequent face-to-face contacts at this current station? My daughter, my husband, my daughter's music teachers, my extended family members, my daughter's school and music classmates and their parents, the cashier at the supermarket, bookstore or departmental store, the meat, fish and vegetable sellers, restaurant waiters and owners, the cleaners and security guards at my apartment....

How do stay-at-home mums get out more and increase their face-to-face social circle? Join clubs and interest groups, start a business, turn online friends into face-to-face ones....? What else? Time is the issue here, unless you are a stay-at-home mum of the 'tai tai' version where all you do is care for your kids using your mouth i.e. giving instructions to your kids, maids, cooks, nanny, driver but not getting your manicured hands dirty ....

I guess we can't have our cake and eat it.

2 comments:

mumsgather said...

Well, I am on a similar train as you. Only we're not on the same train. They're travelling along parallel lines and we may sometimes peer at each other and give each other a wave or a holler of encouragement. Hahaha.

Anna said...

Yes, MG, better similar trains on parallel lines than trains going in the opposite directions!