Monday, August 25, 2008

Cream of corn soup

I've been 'cracking' my head lately on what soups I can cook other than the ones I already have in my recipe 'memory'. 'Memory' because I usually don't use recipe books to cook. My home cooking is all based on memory, taste and the 'dash of this, dash of that' style.

So the past few days, I've pulled out some old and even moldy (aargh!!) cookbooks from my collection and gleaned through them to get some ideas. They have to be soups that I can hedge on that Caitlin would eat... Yup, that's what mothers of picky eaters have to keep in mind.

I saw this simple recipe with a picture of it and showed it to my picky eater and asked if she would like to try that soup. The picture had the bowl of soup garnished with some seaweed strips (read green-coloured food...). She said no. I asked again if she'd like to try it without the green strips and she said ok.

Today, I made the soup. Here it is.


It's the pretty common cream of corn soup with minced chicken, minus the 'green'. She took a spoonful and shouted, "Mum, I like it!" Phew....

There are many versions of this recipe but here's the one I used which has an Asian touch, using seaweed and sesame oil.

Ingredients
1 can cream style sweet corn
80g minced chicken
1 egg, beaten
sufficient shredded seaweed (which I omitted for Caitlin)
750ml water

Seasoning
1/4 tsp each of salt and sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
dash of pepper and sesame oil
3 tbsp water

Method
Mix minced chicken with 3 tbsp water. Mix well seasoning. Bring 750ml water to boil, add cream style corn. Bring to boil and add minced chicken. When chicken is cooked, slowly stir in seasoning. Bring to boil and remove from heat. Dribble in beaten egg, dish up, garnish with shredded seaweed and serve.

No comments: