Wednesday, June 11, 2008

People and their journeys

It's been years since I had the luxury of devouring a book in one sitting within 24 hours. Unexpectedly last week, I managed to do that with Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer. I enjoy reading about journeys, be it travels, adventures or life journeys, and the 'soul' that is involved with the journeys. I read Jon Karakauer's Into Thin Ice about 10 years ago and also some of his writings in Outside magazine. When I chanced upon Into The Wild at the bookstore last week and read the intro (see next para) on the cover, I knew I had to get it.

"In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself...."

This book was moving and thought-provoking. It first began as an article about Christopher McCandless in Outside magazine in 1993. If you wish to learn more about the story, see here (may contain spoilers).

The story of this 24-year-old man was made into a movie of the same title last year. I wonder if I can get my hands on the movie to see how Jon Krakauer's writing has been translated onto the big screen. The last time it was done with Into Thin Air, the movie did not capture the intensity of the book.

No comments: