Thursday, June 12, 2008

Be a vegetarian?

Benefits of a Vegetarian Diet

According to studies, vegetarians enjoy better health than people that eat meat. In addition to lower rates of cancer, they also have lower rates of coronary artery disease, gallstones, cancer, kidney stones, colon disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure. A vegetarian is also less likely to be overweight than a non-vegetarian.

Switching to a vegetarian diet has actually been shown to help cure these diseases. In 1961, the Journal of the American Medical Association stated that ninety to ninety-seven percent of heart disease, the cause of more than half the deaths in the United States, could be prevented by a vegetarian diet.

The American Heart Association report states, "In well-documented population studies using standard methods of diet and coronary disease assessment... evidence suggests that a high-saturated-fat diet is an essential factor for a high incidence of coronary heart disease."


This is an excerpt from an article I read from Natural News. The full article titled Eating One Sausage Per Day Causes Cancer is here.

I have tried a semi-vegetarian diet before and after two weeks, I felt 'lighter' and less bloated. I believe in the 'less meat, more vege' lifestyle for better health in theory but in practice, it's a tough challenge. I have to keep trying harder to eat less meat. I don't know if I can become a vegetarian. I simply love all types of tasty, deliciously-cooked food.

Although I know too much meat, especially red meat, is unhealthy, I am still not able to resist the occasional ribs (Tony Roma's!), trotters (Euro Deli!), roasts (Chinese 'char siew', 'siew yoke'!), barbecues (satay!), steaks (Coliseum!), beef noodles (Vietnamese or Seremban market!), 'bak kut teh' (where else but Klang?!)....all so mouth-watering I'm starting to salivate.

Hats off to 'meatatarians' or 'carnivores' who have successfully become vegetarians or 'herbivores'.

Most dinosaurs were herbivores. So are cattle, elephants and apes which share 98% of DNA with humans (learnt that from watching Animal Planet with Caitlin!). I found another interesting read which provokes thought, suggesting that the human is closer to that of plant-eaters from the anatomy and taxonomy point of view.

No comments: