Friday, May 2, 2008

Meaning of names

Do you know the meaning of your name? When we were expecting our daughter, the search for the 'perfect' name for her was aided by the internet, and a rather unconventional (it contained a lot of uncommon names like Andromeda and Gaia for e.g.) English baby names book for her Christian name which we found in a bookstore. For her Chinese name we used a Chinese names book with romanized letters and English-translated meanings (both of us don't know Mandarin, shame on us...we are what is termed as 'bananas' - yellow on the outside, white on the inside!).

Last year, when Caitlin had to learn to write her Chinese name in Chinese characters at school, I had to look it up again to let her teacher know. I then realised I had quite forgotten what her Chinese name means, as well as her Christian name(s). I only remembered that Caitlin means 'pure' or 'clear'. And I couldn't remember what her middle name Sophia means.

I did a search and found Think Baby Names dotcom which provides more than the meaning of names. It provides the origin, variants, pronunciation and also gives statistics of how popular the name was in past years. According to it, in the year Caitlin was born, her name ranked midway between the top 200.

As for 'Sophia', it means 'wisdom' and was ranked among the top 50 in 2002.

2 comments:

keeyit said...

I know the meaning of my name la.. is knowledge.. haha..

Name is very important one..

Anna said...

Yes, keeyit, names are very important for the Chinese especially; it could determine their destiny!