Friday, April 4, 2008

Sleep, or rather, lack of it

It is 3.45am right now. I was woken up by some music coming from one of Caitlin's toy boxes. I guess in the weekly cleaning yesterday, the toys in the music instruments box got jolted and one of it could have pressed against another that has buttons to make music. I could not go back to sleep after getting up to restore the quiet in this cool morning. My two 'kids' are sprawled comfortably in bed, one big 'log' and one smaller one, oblivious to the world at this wee hour....

I am a light sleeper. I am also an 'uneasy' sleeper. I don't fall asleep easily anywhere, anytime even if I'm sleepy unlike some people who can just nod off and start snoring on the couch, in the car, while travelling....

I can't remember when was the last time I actually slept through the whole night without waking up at all. I think it must have been over five years ago before I had Caitlin. Those days, my sleep was pretty regular, going to bed by 11pm and waking at 6.30 or 7.00am to get ready for work.

When Caitlin arrived, it was night feeds, diaper changes (breastfed babies tend to poop more, anytime of day), night wakings for attention in the early years. Now, I wake up at least once every night, either to turn off the fan if we forget to put its timer on, to check on Caitlin (while asleep, she has this uncanny habit of lifting up her PJs, exposing her abdomen)or to get a drink of water. Sometimes it's hard to get back to sleep because I have an active mind. Thoughts about things, events, people, ideas, start creeping in and my brains start cranking up its gears....

My foot reflexologist tells me every single time when I visit him that I do not sleep well. Based on his reflexology knowledge and experience, he can tell because it's a certain spot on the sole that hurts each time he rubs it.

Now my tummy is feeling empty. I guess I'll go foraging....

Check out this picture gallery of people sleeping. It's very interesting.

No comments: