Sunday, March 9, 2008

Cello music for classical music fans

The violoncello is a beautiful instrument with its soulful voice. My awareness of this instrument started when one of my cousins and my older brother learnt to master it many years ago in their childhood days as an addition to the piano. My brother completed the course but went on to pursue engineering. My cousin, however, pursued the cello as his passion and vocation and started out professionally with the Singapore Symphony Orchestra. Subsequently, with his brother who was also with the orchestra playing the viola, they formed the renowned T'ang Quartet .

I was surfing Youtube yesterday and thought I'd share with you some legendary cello greats here. The videos are of what they have been most famous for.

Pablo Casals



Jacqueline du Pre



Rostropovich



And of course, Yo-Yo Ma, who is widely known these recent times.

No comments: