Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Life is precious

The realisation that life is fragile hits me every now and then, more often since the last 10 years or so. I know many people including myself who have had close calls, others who have said goodbye and some who are facing life's challenges. It always reminds me to live each day more meaningfully and not to sweat the small stuff.

Today, the realisation, hence this post, was triggered by a phone call from Eugene while I was having lunch. He asked me "What is nose cancer?". Ermmm, Dr Anna Tham told her dear husband..."Cancer of the nose-lah!" Either he wasn't thinking when he phrased the question, or he thought my 1980s knowledge in microbiology (which in actual fact has little to do with cancer) could help shed some light.

A friend of ours in her early thirties has been diagnosed with nose cancer. Other than that, I have no details yet of her condition. We will keep her in our prayers.

Two days ago, a close friend emailed me a report from The Star about an accident involving several cars and a bus. He was in the bus. Check out the picture in the report. We believe it was God's grace that kept him safe.

It's been two weeks that I've been totally irritated in all sense of the word, by an allergic rash. Till today, I've yet to pin down the allergen that's causing it. It's hard to function normally when it flares up and gets me irritable. So how can one enjoy life, even the simplest of pleasures, when one is plagued by ill health, disease....?

Last year, a very near and dear friend of mine celebrated her new life in heaven after battling cancer for over a year. In the late 90s, a colleague of mine in my department who was in her 20s also died of cancer. And in the early 80s, my aunt also died of cancer. I am not saying all cancer patients die; I know of survivors too. (My personal 'exposure' to cancer seems to tally with a report that one out of four Malaysians will get cancer nowadays).

Before I start sounding morbid, I'd better switch gears a little. As the title of this post goes, life is indeed precious. It is a miracle. I still wonder in amazement when I look at my five-year-old sleeping soundly. She grew inside me and came out a tiny little helpless bundle, just the length of my forearm. Now, she stands above my waist at 3 1/2 feet tall, has a strong will, talks back and plays the drums better than me!

My reflexologist (a stranger) told me today that I think and worry too much. I don't eat, sleep or exercise enough, thus getting headaches, neck and shoulder aches, have poor digestive system and liver function. All these 'diagnosed' by simply rubbing the relevant points on my soles. Hmm, pretty accurate for one who doesn't even know my name. He said I work too hard. So could all this contribute to my ill health and allergy? Very likely I think, although medical practitioners could probably say something else.

I think I should take a break, be lazy and not sweat the small stuff, please remind me!

No comments: