Monday, November 26, 2007

Caitlin's pets

Most children love animals. Caitlin is no different. She enjoys the Animal Planet channel on TV, loves reading and learning about animals, and playing with them, the real ones and the toy ones. One of her ambitions is to be a veterinarian when she grows up. She has already established the notion that she will indeed have two dogs when we move to a house; a male Schnauzer named Rusty and a female Dachsund named Mermaid Girl.

So far, she has had fish (goldfish, guppies, gourami, swordtail). Then she moved on to four terrapins which she named The Little Einsteins (June, Leo, Quincy and Annie). They now all have either returned to my dad's fish tanks or animal heaven. Then she also has countless toy pets like her Little Ponies, My Littlest Pet Shop animals, stuffed toys, rubber or plastic moulded animals. Her favourites are the Little Ponies and two white fluffy ones named PooPoo (because it's a poodle...and it's not smelly luckily!) and Daffodil the rabbit.

We have been pet-free (I mean live pets) for almost a year until today when we ended up bringing home four goldfish from my dad's place in a feeble attempt to pacify her insistence on going to the fish shop to get five angel fish.

Needless to say, the attempt failed and I had to endure 1 1/2 hours of continuous determined and sometimes angry and tearful demands to go to the shop to get her five angel fish. In the 45-minute drive from dad's home to ours, my 'radio' played "I want five angel fish" and "Mummy, mummy, mummy!" when I did not respond to the first 'song'.

Upon reaching home and settling the goldfish down, she proceeded to lie stubbornly in bed to continue her two 'songs'. My attempt to get her off the bed, and into the car half an hour later to go for her drum lessons was obviously a struggle.

Only after venting her emotions on her teacher's drum set did she become a little more reasonable. When we got home, she fed her fish, spent some time talking to them while snacking on a cookie.

It's been a long day for me having returned from Singapore at 3.00 am to catch some sleep before driving to my dad's home down south to take her home, patiently dealing with her angel fish tantrum and tending to the routine household needs.

I hope to have an earlier night tonight.

No comments: