Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Purpose Driven Life


I am currently re-reading this book "The Purpose Driven Life". The last time I read it was two years ago when I had just quit my job to be at home. I find this book helpful in providing direction and inspiration. It takes you on a 40-day journey with daily chapters which are short enough for busy people, and yet its contents really get down to the heart of the topic covered for that day with points to ponder on.

Despite the criticisms mentioned in the Wikipedia link above, I believe it is up to the individual to determine if the book has been helpful to him. After all, it is only a guide and ultimately, how one lives should be guided by one's heart, his relationship with God and His Word.

If you visit the website, it provides related resources and even has the first seven chapters available online.

Chapter 3 of the book stood out to me when I read it about 10 days ago. It's titled "What Drives Your Life?" and the two quotes at the top of the page were meaningful:

I observed that the basic motive for success is the driving force of envy and jealousy! Ecclesiastes 4:4

The man without a purpose is like a ship without a rudder -- a waif, a nothing, a no man. Thomas Carlyle


One of the benefits mentioned in this chapter about knowing your purpose is that it simplifies your life. Knowing your purpose "defines what you do and what you don't do. Your purpose becomes the standard you use to evaluate which activities are essential and which aren't....Without a clear purpose you have no foundation on which you base decisions, allocate your time, and use your resources. You will tend to make choices based on circumstances, pressures, and your mood at that moment. People who don't know their purpose try to do too much -- and that causes stress, fatigue, and conflict."

Time for me to ponder now about the stress, fatigue and probably, conflicts, I sometimes experience!

No comments: