Thursday, October 25, 2007

Do you know what RSVP means?

Two weeks ago, I had sent out invitations to Caitlin's classmates and some friends of ours to Caitlin's fifth birthday party. I had clearly indicated my name and phone number in the cards for the RSVP. Now, I'm sure most of us know what RSVP means i.e. "please reply". However, can you guess how many actually were courteous and considerate enough to do so? And even after a reminder to some of them? I was also told by one person indirectly to email his child at her own personal email...well, I hope the seven-year-old understands what RSVP means.

Donna Pilato who has written a short piece in About.com says: The term R.S.V.P. comes from the French expression "répondez s'il vous plaît", meaning "please respond". She continued to say that: I hear more and more often, and have found in my personal experience, that hosts often do not receive firm indications whether guests plan to attend their parties, even if R.S.V.P. is clearly printed on the invitation. This could mean either one of two things. First it could mean that rudeness is a growing trend in our society. Or, as I would prefer to believe, people no longer understand what the term means.

I sure would like to follow Donna and believe that maybe, just maybe, some people do not understand what RSVP means.

In the meantime, I do hope the food I have catered would be enough. If it is not, I shall tell those who did not RSVP that they can only have the fruit punch.

No comments: