Thursday, August 16, 2007

House hunting

I think we may be getting somewhere, finally, in our house hunting efforts. We have been house hunting on and off the past two years, checking various locations in Kuala Lumpur and Petaling Jaya. Some houses we saw were really nice but we felt they were overpriced. Location is the main determinant of house prices in the Klang Valley, regardless of the condition of the house in most cases.

Just when I thought we were heading nowhere in our hunt for our 'dream' home, I chanced upon a print ad a few days ago for a new development not too far from where we are currently living. The price plus specs for the house seemed good value so I decided to visit the show house and came home pretty impressed and tempted.


Eugene came with me today to check it out again and he seemed to like it too, so it sure looks like we're about to take the plunge. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we've not overlooked anything negative about that place.

Committing to a new house is a giant step, financially and emotionally. Since we are not millionaires (yet?!), forking out tens of thousands for initial payments and subsequently being 'chained' to the bank probably for the rest of our lives is deathly daunting. And after being in our comfortable niche in our current location for the past eight years, I think it would take some emotional adjustment (for me at least) having to grope my way around again in search of amenities. But I guess once I've grown used to the new place, it would be alright.

And the thought of having lots more space (provided my dear husband and daughter don't continue with their hoarding habit :)....), plus a carpark and small patch of grass at my doorstep, and a larger kitchen is consolation enough.

As you can tell, I'm a worrier and think too much ahead sometimes! Please pray with us that the house we have set our eyes on is the right one for us.

And in case you're wondering if this picture is the house we are eyeing, it is actually Caitlin's dream home. She helped me pick this picture for this post. She said she likes this house because it has a swimming pool!

No comments: