Friday, July 6, 2007

Cholesterol

I got my blood test results this morning (see earlier post). It looks like the Tham family gene for elevated cholesterol level continues down the family tree. In the past, and also now, I've registered a total cholesterol level bordering the high end. Although my HDL (the good guys) level is strong, my LDL (the bad guys) is even stronger, thus giving a total cholesterol reading of 5.7 (<5.2 is normal).

So, I guess I've to consciously do something in my pre-menopausal years before it gets worse. At age 50 or so, I'll be at equal risk with males in similar condition to suffer heart disease. At least now, my estrogen is protecting me (I think this is one of the rare occasions I'm thankful for this hormone!).

Sigh, looks like I've to work some exercise time into my already busy and haphazard daily schedule....And also watch what I eat; less fried stuff and my all-time fave seafood :(

Getting older isn't fun as the body becomes less efficient. I'm beginning to miss my 'wonder' years of my late 20s and early 30s. Looking back, it's amazing that I survived those GI Jane days of fortnightly hiking, camping, canoeing, swimming, jogging, jungle trekking trips in Port Dickson. Those were tiring but really fun times. And it was all in the name of work! (ex-Phileo guys and gals, you know what I mean!)

Eugene thinks I could join him on weekends at the gym. I'm not sure about that. Maybe I'll start with walking up the hill across the road and doing a few laps in the pool.

No comments: