Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Work and Wealth

I was in the lift going up to my apartment upon returning from the market when a lady stepped in. She smiled and said to me "How nice to be a homemaker, no need to go to work". I smiled back and told her that I still work, but from home. By then, the lift doors opened. I had reached my floor and had to step out.

In my mind, a homemaker still works. The only difference is that the work involves household and family-related work at home instead of company or business-related work in an office. It could still also involve business-related work if one chooses to telecommute, freelance or have a home-based business.

The advantages are that I have more flexibility in terms of time, and am boss of my own. I have the choice to work as much as I want to, realise my full potential and earn as much as I'm worth and am able to. In a job, most bosses and companies are not able to provide for that. You are governed by your job scope and are worth only as much as the number of hours you put in and the results you show based on that. There are people who are really happy in their job, passionate about it and jump out of bed every morning shouting "Hurray! Another exciting day at the office!", but how many are?

Why are most people in a job? For money, survival, to put food on the table, personal satisfaction, out of obligation or expectation, to not waste the degree they had earned and their parents' or their own hard-earned dollars to send them to school.....? The list of reasons could be a mile long but I guess, the main reason for most people would be for money, in order to achieve or obtain other things in life - to meet at least the basic material needs, to save for a rainy day, to give their family a better or more comfortable life, to be able to afford nice holidays, good education for the kids....

How much money is enough? Some say they don't want too much and can settle for a simple life. Some say they want as much as possible. What is the true meaning of wealth? I came across this article which perspective I find pretty clear, and one of the quotes in the article stood out to me: "Where we spend our money discloses our true values, what we hold important."

I would want as much money as possible, not because I'm money-minded and simply want to be rich, but because I think there's a lot we could do with money, based on the quote I just mentioned.

No comments: