Thursday, May 17, 2007

Preserving your identity


Upon awaking this morning, Caitlin's Question Of The Day was: What does strawberry juice look like?

After all the hustle and bustle of getting her to school (she woke late and was extra slow in getting ready, what's new?), I arrived home for breakfast and started pondering about that question! I decided in my mind what I thought strawberry juice should look like and told myself, "Ok, that's enough, only spend time on more profound questions of hers. Otherwise, she will rule my life!"

It's amazing how mothers get so caught up doing their "mother" job that they risk losing their own identity. There is a need to make time to do my own things and pursue my own interests. Many parenting and mothering magazines carry such articles and provide a list of suggestions on how to go about it. The problem is they sometimes make it sound so easy.

Either the writers are not mums themselves or they are super mums to be able to go for yoga lessons, for instance, and still have time to do the laundry, fetch the kids from school, send them to piano lessons and then cook a full-course dinner for two adults and three kids. And how about weekends you may ask? I don't know about other mums but by the time I reach the weekend, I just feel like vegetating and not get into any activity, even if it's for myself! Is my age showing?

No comments: