Thursday, April 12, 2007

Saltpipe Therapy

Having a child with rhinitis and mild asthma i.e. respiratory problems, has made me more curious about such conditions and what remedies are available to bring some relief. The Internet has been a major source, giving endless lists of reading material, enough for you to write a book or simply to confuse you!

A few years ago, I came across a news article about people with asthma or respiratory ailments seeking treatment in underground saltmines in the Ukraine. My initial thought was "How do I get Caitlin there to try it out?" According to the article, the salty air in the mines help clear respiratory congestion and being unpolluted and salty, it is "clean" air.

Two days ago, an ad which appeared on my screen caught my eye. It triggered my memory about that news article. I just did a search and found among many, a website which claims to have the "authentic original patented saltpipe". Could this be the answer to my question especially since I can't picture where Ukraine is on the world map?!

The saltpipe is like an "inhaler" containing salt crystals. Excerpt from the site: "Breathing through the Saltpipe will draw air across the 20-22 million year old minerals, the beneficial effects of which then reach every microscopic aspect of the respiratory system and could influence breathing problems which may be caused by:

- Asthma, Allergies
- Sinus problem, Hay fever
- Chest infections, bronchitis, COPD
- Persitent Cough and Sore throats
- Breathing difficulty, Shortness of breath
- Respiratory problems caused by smoking

I wonder if this "inhaler" is as good as testified by the manufacturer and users. If yes, it would be a good alternative to the inhaled steroids normally prescribed by doctors.

No comments: