Thursday, April 26, 2007

Making Time

When I was very young, the days seemed to be longer and there was lots of time to do many things. After returning home from school, I would have lunch and finish my homework immediately. The afternoons were spent reading, practising the piano, watching TV, playing with my dog, or going to Math or Bahasa Malaysia tuition, or school extra curricular activities.

Nowadays, the days seem so short and it feels like there's so little time to do everything I need or want to do. I have to keep reminding myself that if I want to do something that I feel is important, I have to make time for it; and as the famous sportswear brand says, "just do it". I must not let my busy daily routine take up all my time. I must not use the "no time" excuse.

Keeping in touch with friends is one of the main challenges. Everyone seems busy with their own lives and our meetings are far and few, and most of the time 'virtual' via email or online chat.

Travelling or going on holiday is another one on the list. My last holiday with Eugene was our so-called honeymoon trip over 5 years ago. And the last real family holiday we had with Caitlin was in 2005. Like most people, Eugene is a 'bird in a cage'* aka an employee, and has not much time freedom to go on holidays simply on a whim.

Reading for knowledge is the other item I find it hard to make time for. Gone are the days when I used to be able to read at least one or two books a month.

I think if I dig deeper, I could come up with a few more items but I guess I'll have to work on these few first.

*I liken employees with birds in cages singing for their supper. Sing better and you get a bigger serving, and a bigger cage. Ultimately, you are still in a cage...no time or money freedom to fly and soar in the skies. Fortunately, there are avenues for those seeking a change!

No comments: